Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Day Three Quitting Smoking -- Good News and Bad News

I managed to get over my coffee high and sneak in a few hours of sleep eventually. Now I've been awake for ten hours or so. In this time, I've been with a more reasonable temperament and without any especially overwhelming cravings.

This is good news, since I spent most of yesterday so uncomfortable that I really can't quite find the words to describe it. A root canal metaphor doesn't quite do it justice, maybe as uncomfortable as a mad dog in a cathouse? Hm, that doesn't even make sense, does it? Well anyway, it's very good news and I'm pleasantly surprised for now.

Everybody tells me that quitting smoking is going to make things taste better. Word on the street is that there are even things that smell good when a person is not smoking. Of course there's no hard and fast rule as to when this can be expected to happen, and it's doubtful that it will happen all at once (Bam! Chip steaks taste like ribeye!).

Fair enough, but the bad news is that now everything tastes like cardboard. Candy, gum, donuts, Fritos, frozen pizza, ham and cheese, Lucky Charms, coffee, even apple juice and lemon flavored seltzer water.

The only thing so far that has escaped this cruel fate is plain old Poland Spring water, which continues to taste like spring water. Thanks Maine, for coming through for me when I least expected it.

While this is definitely a problem, with me disliking the taste of cardboard the way I do, I am feeling much better overall than yesterday, and am certainly in better spirits. Still, I can't really enjoy eating anything right now, so I'm going to take a shower and a nap and see if things change later.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris...you do understand that you have to take the packaging *off* the food *before* you eat it...right??? That usually gets rid of the cardboard or plastic taste (in my experience).

Just keep drinking water-- I was also hitting the gym a lot so I'd sit in the dry sauna and sweat out as much of the poison as I could without passing out.

Just KTQ!

March 6, 2007 at 9:06:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just be happy it doesn't taste like chalk!

March 6, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POLAND SPRING WATER? My friend, Peg, lives in the town where it is bottled in Poland, Maine. I wish I could get it here in Michigan (way north) because not only am I Polish (no comments) but it would remind me of Peg every time I took a gulp!

March 7, 2007 at 5:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Robin said...

First off, a big CONGRATULATIONS to you on your quit! :)

Tastes and smells are going to vary for a while. The first few months of a quit are like that (been there, done that!). The good news is that you will appreciate good food. The bad news is that things you used to like might not taste so good once you get full use of your taste buds back.

Do you have oxygen head yet? Hehehe.

March 8, 2007 at 1:29:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seuss: You're a smart one, I don't care what everybody else says. I have taken all suggestions and life tastes great!

Anonymous: I'm happy about that and more.

Anonymous: I'm surprised they don't bring it around the lakes to sell in Michigan, and have successfully resisted the temptation you have given me to make a Polish comment.

Robin: If by oxygen head, you mean am I way more giddy than I should be, wondering if I'll ever be the same again, and not sure yet if the new attitude is driving the wife wild or driving her crazy, then yup. I totally have that.

March 9, 2007 at 9:15:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

via RSS
via E-Mail
54 Things To Do Instead Of Smoking
Still Alive After Quitting Smoking 14 Days Ago
Quitzits!