Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Quitting Smoking Makes People Gain Weight -- Huge Surprise

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everybody told me to expect to gain a little weight upon smoking cessation. Actually, quite a lot of people seem to report that significant weight gain is to be expected, even normal.

It's official: I'm up three pounds. I'm cool with that, considering I've been getting just a bit overindulgent with the snack food lately. Well, actually more like whole box of Entenmann's crumb topped donuts indulgent. Good thing I've been taking the mountain bike out several times a week, even if it's only for short trips most of the time.

I think the intelligent thing to do here is a little preventative maintenance. You know, just in case. While I really have my sights on that punching bag, it's still not warm enough back there yet. Soon though, real soon.

For now, I guess it'll have to be the Gazelle. Cardio and I have a history of not getting along terrifically well, at least not for extended periods, but I'm going to try out my diplomatic skills and see if I can form some kind of a truce for now. At least until I can clear out the beloved heavy bag.

Time to see what these newly improved lungs can do, before my gut decides to start showing off. Maybe I'll even tone it down on the junk food.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quit weight comes off pretty easily so my advice is: Don't worry about it too much. Focus on the quit. You can take care of any weight gain when you're secure in your quit.

Exercise, as you probably already know, is not only a great way to keep down the quit weight gain, but it's great for cravings. I wore myself out on a Nordic Track more than a few times, sweating out cravings. I would love to have had a punching bag!

March 20, 2007 at 6:40:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe half a box of donuts next time..
Try keeping up with the kids for a day..
Drink TONS of ice water, fills you up, and no calories
I know you will not have a problem losing it later..
Sheila

March 20, 2007 at 11:10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, do you realize that those things have over 500 calories a piece? My son, Dave, loves those things so whenever he visits I buy a box. I call them huskavarna donuts because they are so heavy and sturdy! Happily Dave, even at 37, can eat them and not gain.

If you ever get to Michigan let me know and I'll have a box on the kitchen counter just for you!

March 22, 2007 at 12:06:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin & Sheila, I agree that the quit is so much more important. Just have to be careful not to let my nutrition get completely out of control :)

Unless I trek to Michigan at some point of course... I should be able to burn off 4000 calories between here and there if I time it right.

Heavy and sturdy! You hit the nail on the head there, Mimi.

March 23, 2007 at 2:51:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

via RSS
via E-Mail
54 Things To Do Instead Of Smoking
Still Alive After Quitting Smoking 14 Days Ago
Quitzits!